Facts of Distracted Driving
Category : Uncategorized
What is Distracted Driving? Driving while engaged in any activity that could divert your attention away from driving. Some of the facts Distracted Driving can cause are the following
- Texting while driving makes a crash up to 23 times more likely to occur.
- Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting.
- At 55mph, five seconds is enough time to cover a football field.
- Talking on a cell phone creates risks like driving with .08 blood alcohol level.
- Talking on a cell phone can slow a young driver’s reaction time down to that of a 70-year-old.
- Talking on the phone reduces brain activity devoted to driving by 37%
- Each day in the United States, more than 9 people are killed and 1,153 are injured in crashes that involve a distracted driver.
- With 1 in 5 crashes in Texas caused by distracted driver based on Texas Department of Transportation.
- In 2016, based on TxDOT there were 109,658 crashes in Texas related to distracted driving – up 3% over 2015.
The common distractions could be simple actions like texting, eating or drinking, personal grooming, using a navigation system, watching a video, adjusting a radio or MP3 player, Snapchat and Twitter.
We know it’s risky, but we still drive distracted, why? Here are some of the reason we say ourselves: “I am a good driver”, “I drive more carefully when driving distracted”, “I can multi-task”, “I have to—I’m so busy”, “Everyone does it”, “Nothing bad will happen” or even “It’s just for a few seconds”
We would like to recommend you a few tips to avoid distracted driving:
- Drive without sending or receiving.
- Call/text before I start driving to let parents, friends and others know when I’ll arrive.
- Figure out directions before you leave.
- Pull over to a safe location to check texts or listen to voice mail.
Who has ever been scared when driven by a distracted driver? Focus on the road for distracted driver, you can be the next victim!!!!!!!
In our agency we care about you, call us at (512) 331-1513 set an appointment to review your auto policy coverage and make sure you are protected against the unexpected.
Cestari insurance Agency